Baheda is a large deciduous tree belonging to the family Combretaceae and is found throughout the India. The flowers come in lovely blossoms but have an unpleasant odor. The fruits appear in drupes, are gray in color, with the kernels sweet to taste. The fruit of Baheda or Bahera is renowned for its medicinal value since ages and has been widely used in Ayurvedic and Yunani medications to treat numerous ailments especially digestive disorders, respiratory problems and insomnia. The effect of Baheda is more pronounced when it is used in combination with Amla and Harada forming the Triphala meaning "Three Fruits".
Baheda (bibhitaki) is rich in Vitamin A and its other constituents include protein, fatty acid, oxalic acid, linoleic acid, glucose and many more.
1. Baheda is very effective in treating respiratory disorders and problems caused due to cold. It reduces the cough, releases the phlegm clearing the air passages and also eases out the broncho spasms enabling the patient to breathe freely.
2. Baheda acts as a very good sedative and have a calming effect on the sympathetic nervous system. It reduces the activity of the body system and lowers the high blood pressure. Due to this, it is widely used to treat anxiety, insomnia and some mental problems like psychosis.
3. It is also helpful in reducing the stress levels.
4. Baheda along with Amla and haritaki in Triphala has shown excellent result in treating almost all sorts of digestive disorders like acidity, irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, abdominal pain and liver problems.
5. This is also useful in reducing high blood pressure and cholesterol.
1. Breathing problems
2. Choking and hoarseness of voice due to cold
3. Feeling bloated
4. Sleep disturbances due to high stress
5. Constipation and loss in appetite
The kernel of Baheda is sweet to taste. The seeds, kernels are either taken in powdered form or in decoctions to treat different ailments.
1. Baked pieces of the fruit if chewed are useful in treating asthma and breathing problems.
2. Taking 1 teaspoon of baheda powder twice a day gives good results in calming the nervous system of the body.
3. Baheda in conjunction with Triphala treats constipation, cleans the colon, helps in the detoxification of the body and treats stomach ulcers and colitis.
4. Triphala acts as bronchodilator and removes the congestion in the chest and lungs.
5. Triphala boosts the energy level of the body by removing the lactic acid formed, which leads to fatigue.
6. Application of the seed oil is highly beneficial in treating skin diseases and preventing premature graying of the hair.
7. The decoction made from the Baheda kernels stops vomiting.
8. Baheda powder is also applied to dress wounds in order to arrest the bleeding.
Baheda is known for its ability to lower blood pressure in the cardiac as well as the circulatory systems. So avoid consuming this herb if suffering from cardiac disorders.