Bitter melon is an edible fruit belonging to the Cucurbitae family and it tastes bitter among all edible fruits. This fruit grows in vines and has been extensively used for culinary purposes in India, China, Japan, other Asian countries and in Caribbean islands. Renowned to be as a blood purifier and due to presence of anti oxidants it forms a compulsory item in the regular diet of the Indians and Chinese. The fruit is generally cooked but sometimes the juice and leaves are also taken as and when required.
The seeds of bitter melon are rich in nutrients. This fruit is stacked with essential vitamins and nutrients but without any fat and cholesterol. It contains potassium, iron, calcium, Vitamin B1, B2, B3 and C and beta-carotene.
Bitter melon (Momordica Charantia) is highly effective in treating diabetes naturally and it is recommended for every diabetic to take the raw juice of the fruit daily.
The fruit though doesn't please the tongue, is beneficial to the health in a number of ways.
1. This fruit contains a hypoglycemic compound and so in lowering the blood sugar levels bitter melon has excellent potentiality. It improves the production of insulin and the tolerance of the blood glucose levels in the body. This fruit is a boon to the diabetics who have a tough time in controlling the blood sugar levels.
2. The fruit is highly effective in treating boils and other discomforts arising due to toxemia.
3. Juice of bitter gourd is useful in treating cholera at the initial stages.
4. The leaves of this plant is effective in treating bacterial infections due to E.coli, those are present in the lower intestines of the individual and are responsible for various gastro intestinal problems and urinary tract infections.
5. Bitter gourd has the potentiality to eliminate the parasitic worms from the intestinal tract.
6. Due to the presence of beta carotene it is very useful in improving the eye-sight.
7. Bitter melon provides the stamina and maintains high energy levels and also improves the sleep.
Bitter melon can be taken in required amounts on the basis of following indications -
1. High blood sugar levels or diabetes
2. Boils and itching of the skin
3. Itching in the anal region due to worms
4. Hemorrhoids (piles)
1. Taking half glass of raw juice of bitter melon daily in empty stomach reduces the blood sugar levels.
2. Sipping 2 ounces of bitter melon juice along with lime juice helps in blood purification reducing boils.
3. Bitter melon juice reduces the hangover and improves the liver conditions due to alcohol consumption.
4. Taking 2 ounces of the bitter melon juice with honey diluted in a cup of water daily treats respiratory problems and asthma.