Amongst the vast resource of medicinal herbs of Indian origin Boswelia Serrata or Frankincense is another useful herb that has been widely used in treating various forms of joint pains, arthritis (Vata). The use of this herb is mentioned in the ancient Ayurvedic scripts and even today the usefulness of Boswellia Serrata is acclaimed by herbalists and pharmacologists.
Resin from the bark of Boswellia Serrata tree is trapped and it contains gums, essential oils and terpenoids. These terpenoids contain the active ingredient Boswellic acid that is used for the treatment of various types of arthritis. Boswellic acid has anti inflammatory effects and is effective in all sorts of joint pains. These acids are similar in function to non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAID) prescribed in treating arthritis producing same results without any side effects.
Earlier in Ayurveda, this resin was grouped with many other resins called Guggals and were used for treating dysentery, diarrhea, worms apart from arthritis.
Boswellia Serrata (Shallaki) also possesses some extra qualities that have proved the efficacy in treating other diseases as well. It can be taken internally or applied externally on the affected areas as desired.
1. It helps in alleviating any kind of pain.
2. In any type of arthritic pains such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, joint pains, lower back pains or pains in the skeletal muscles the Boswellic acids produces wonderful results.
3. It helps in treating indigestion, constipation and other intestinal disorders.
4. The herb also improves the liver functions and the secretion of bile juices.
5. In treating diarrhea and dysentery also this herb has produced effective results.
6. Boswellia Serrata produces a general feeling of well being and is also used for mild sedation.
7. The blood cholesterol levels and the triglycerides are also reduced to a great extent by this herb.
8. Boswellic acids are also useful in treating heart ailments.
9. As an aphrodisiac this herb has proved its efficacy.
10. This herb improves the mental concentration and the intelligence level enhancing the functions of the brain.
1. Severe joint pains, gout, arthritis
2. Swelling and inflammation of joints
3. In lymph adenopathy
4. Indigestion and constipation
1. Boswellia is used to improve the vision in eyes.
2. Used to increase the sperm count and quality.
3. In fighting urinary tract infections this herb is used, as it functions as a diuretic.
The resin of the Boswellia Serrata is used in the form of extracts which can be taken internally or applied on the affected areas to reduce the pain and inflammation due to arthritis. Boswellic acids are also available in capsules that has to be taken with due consultation with the physicians.