Brahmi or Indian pennywort as it is called is a powerful memory boosting herb that is available throughout India. The action of Brahmi in memory retention and enhancing the intelligence has received world wide acclamation. In India, Brahmi has been in use since ancient times by the Ayurvedic physicians in treating various nervous disorders including stress and improving the functions of brain. Brahmi revitalizes the brain cells by improving the blood circulation and mends the nervous system. Even in treating Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson’s disease the effectiveness of this herb has been proved.
Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri) is bitter to taste and this herb finds its use in different cuisines, salads, soups and in pickles.
The entire plant body of this creeper is used for medicinal purpose and it carries numerous health benefits -
1. In treating anxieties, nervous disorders and lowering the stress levels the effectiveness of Brahmi is unequivocal. Brahmi based remedies have a calming effect on the nerves that reduces restlessness and helps the nerves to act in co-ordination of the brain.
2. Brahmi rejuvenates the brain and is an excellent brain tonic that improves the intelligence quotient and the memory retention capacity by balancing the amounts of essential chemicals gamma- amino butyric acid (GABA) and glutamate in the brain.
3. The herb eliminates the toxic effects of free radicals produced in the body due to its anti-oxidant property and helps in maintaining the youth.
4. In treating diseases like asthma, bronchitis, arthritis, hair fall Brahmi is also very useful.
5. It is also effective in curing all sorts of skin problems like psoriasis, eczema, abscess as it stimulates the growth of skin and nails.
6. Due to the antioxidant property of Brahmi, it also helps in preventing cancer.
Brahmi is administered upon the following indications -
1. Poor memory
2. Disturbed concentration
3. Stress and anxieties
4. Fatigue and weakness
5. Attention deficit disorder (ADD)
6. Alzheimer's disease
7. Arthritis and joint pains
8. Cold and bronchitis
1. By chewing few leaves of Brahmi in empty stomach the memory retention capacity of the brain improves.
2. Taking the freshly prepared juice of the Brahmi leaves along with one teaspoon of honey has a calming effect on the nerves thereby restoring the tranquility of the mind.
3. Consuming Brahmi leaves along with grounded cumin and sugar helps in treating dysentery.
4. Regular application of Brahmi cures chronic skin problems.
5. Oil from Brahmi is applied to prevent hair loss. The oil rejuvenates the scalp and favors hair growth.
6. Brahmi in combination with gotu kola herb acts as a sedative and helps in treating sleeping disorders.