Following are some of the simple tips to prevent cough:
- Avoid cold foods as these can aggravate the throat further. Drink warm water. It will give relief to your infected throat.
- Avoid consuming any fruits or vegetables that may cause excessive cooling in your body. Do not eat cucumbers, green bananas, papayas and watermelons when suffering from cough.
- Fiber foods are good. They are easy to digest.
- Avoid nuts such as groundnuts, cashew nuts, almonds, walnuts and pistachios. They have high oil content.
- Coconuts are also not preferred due to high oil content in them.
- Take proper balanced diet and avoid mutton, caffeine, any type of oily and spicy food, sugar, chocolates, etc. Avoid cold drink and ice cream.
Following are some of the effective home remedies for cough:
- Onion is very effective in the treatment of cough. The juice extracted from finely chopped onion helps in loosening the cough, and clears chest-congestion. Take 1-2 teaspoon of onion juice and add 1-2 teaspoon of honey into it. Keep this mixture aside for 5-6 hours, and then give a teaspoon of it to the patient at east two times in a day.
- You can also try this very simple and effective homemade cough syrup made from onion juice, lemon juice and honey. Mix 1-2 teaspoon of onion juice with 1-2 teaspoon of lemon juice. Pour little amount of water and allow it to boil, later add 1-2 teaspoon of honey into it. Keep this cough syrup aside for 5-6 hours and give a teaspoon of it to the patient at least two times in a day.
- Ginger is also very effective home remedy for cough. Mix half tablespoon of ginger paste, and a half tablespoon of pepper powder. Further add equal amount (one tablespoon) of vinegar and honey into it. Add 2-3 tablespoon of water and keep it aside. Take this cough syrup 2-3 times a day. This is commonly used homemade cough syrup for getting relief from cough.
- You can also prepare this easy and effective herbal tea to get instant relief from cough and chest congestion. Add a small piece of ginger cut in small slices, 1-2 garlic seeds, and small amount of lemon juice into the boiling water. Boil it around 15-20 minutes. Strain the liquid and keep it aside. Add a little amount of honey into the solution and give it to the patient. The lemon juice added to it will loosen the cough and make breath easy.
- Black pepper has also very significant role in treating cough. It looses the mucous membrane and open chest congestion. Take 2-3 black pepper seeds and chew it. If patient find difficulty in chewing it because of its strong bitter taste, add 2-3 pepper seeds in a glass of milk. Another easy way of taking black pepper is with cumin seeds. Take both black pepper and cumin seeds in small amount and add 1/2 spoon of salt to it. Chew it slowly. It is very effective home remedy for cough.
Following are some of the effective herbal remedies for cough:
- The bay berry is very useful in curing throat congestions that causes the coughs. It can even cure coughs that are caused due to chronic bronchitis. Its bark is the effective part which is to be taken in the form of a powder.
- Cloves are also commonly used to reduce the irritation of the throat. They are more effective if the coughs are produced due to inflammation of the pharynx.
- Fenugreek seeds are also used in getting relief from coughs that are associated with sore throats. These seeds are boiled in water for half an hour and this solution is used to take gargles. It is very effective herbal remedy for cough.
- Garlic is very useful herbal remedy for whooping cough. Garlic and onion chicken soup are also an effective home treatment for cough.
- You can also try this simple and effective remedy for cough. Crush betel leaves and make its paste with water and applied externally on the chest. It has very good effects in the treatment of coughs.
- Another useful herbal remedy for cough is Butea leaves. It can treat congested and inflamed throats. It is effective in the treatment of coughs and sore throats. The leaves are boiled in water and the solution is used as a mouthwash to get the desired effects.