The term "Diabetes" is well known now-a-days as over 150 million people worldwide are suffering from this disease and the number is on the rise. It has raised a world wide concern and annual conferences are held by the medical and health professionals to create Diabetes awareness in the masses. Diabetes means abnormally high glucose levels in the blood, and if not checked can have serious effects on the vital organs of the body that may lead to death. This endocrinal disorder is caused due to the insufficient production of Insulin from the pancreas. Diabetes Mellitus and Diabetes Insipidus are two types of Diabetes known with the former being the most prevalent.
1. Increased frequency of urination known as Polyuria.
2. Increase in thirst
3. Increase in appetite
4. Disturbances in sleep
5. Fatigue and tiredness
6. Women may experience Vaginal Candidiasis due to hyperglycemic condition.
The exact reason behind the under functioning of the pancreas resulting in low levels of Insulin is still not clear but the causes may be -
1. Hereditary, passing on the disease through generations
2. Wrong and unhealthy food habits including smoking and drinking
4. Leading a highly stressful life
Studies reveal that herbs can play a vital role in maintaining the blood sugar at desired levels coupled with a change in life style and the regular diet. One should consider the life style changes seriously as it both helps in the prevention and cure of Diabetes.
1. Indian gooseberry or Amla, loaded with Vitamin C is very helpful in treating Diabetes. Mixing a teaspoon of Amla juice and bitter gourd juice and taking it daily helps in the stimulation of pancreas and increased production of Insulin.
2. Powder from the Cinnamon bark is effective in treating Diabetes as it blocks the production of free radicals and makes the fat cells more responsive to Insulin.
3. Another effective herbal remedy for diabetes is fenugreek seeds. Taking fenugreek seeds regularly lowers the blood sugar level as the seeds are rich in fiber, and the active compound trigonelline helps in lowering the blood glucose level.
4. Leaves of Blueberry contain anthocyanosides that help in lowering the blood sugar.
5. The herb Asian ginseng stimulates the pancreas in releasing Insulin and also increases the number of insulin receptors that reduces the blood sugar levels.
6. The herb Indian Kino helps in treating this disease by regenerating the beta cells of pancreas.
7. Gymnema Sylvester herb also enhances the insulin production from pancreas and is effective in treating both types of diabetes.
8. Bilbery herb helps in preventing the risks of complications like cataracts, retinopathy arising out of Diabetes.