The herb garlic belongs to the onion family and is one of the nature's versatile medicinal herbs. Garlic appears as bulbs comprising of ten to fifteen cloves. The herb is used extensively in culinary purposes all over the world as it adds special taste and flavor to the dish. The medicinal usage of this herb is evident since the early days of civilization.
Garlic when crushed gives out a strong odor and that is attributed due to the presence of the amino acid allicin. This amino acid gives the herb the wonderful medicinal properties. In addition garlic contains sulfur containing compounds, Vitamin A and C and Selenium.
Numerous clinical trials have established the effectiveness of Garlic in reducing blood cholesterol levels, lowering blood pressure and also functioning as a blood thinner preventing heart attacks.
Garlic (Allium Sativum) has antibacterial and anti fungal properties that fights any foreign invasions in the body and builds up a strong immunity system.
To extract the maximum benefit from Garlic it should be taken raw rather than cooked, as cooking destroys the potential ingredients that are extremely beneficial to the health.
1. Clinical researches have established the fact that taking 600-900milligrams of garlic daily lowers the blood cholesterol level to a great extent. It lowers the harmful Low Density Lipoprotein and helps in raising the good cholesterol, High Density Lipoprotein (HDL).
2. Garlic acts as an anti- coagulant and the presence of the chemical ajoene prevents the formation of clots within the blood vessels and helps in averting coronary attacks. This also helps in lowering the high blood pressure and keeps the heart healthy.
3. Garlic has antibacterial and antifungal properties that help in fighting against the yeast infections like Candida albicans by stimulating the T-cells. This herb is also very useful in treating different warts.
4. This particular herb develops the immune system of the body and helps to fight against the cold.
5. Garlic has anti cancerous properties that reduces the cancer forming cells and blocks the production of carcinogens that can prevent the cancer occurring in breasts, prostrate glands, stomach and esophagus. The sulfur containing compounds in garlic prevents the attack by carcinogens.
1. High blood pressure
2. High levels of blood cholesterol and triglycerides
3. Candida infection
4. Cough and cold
5. Genital warts
1. Chewing few cloves of garlic in empty stomach regularly reduces the blood cholesterol levels significantly. Simultaneously it lowers the high blood pressure conditions.
2. Sniffing the pods of garlic reduces the severity of the asthmatic attacks.
3. Drinking few drops of garlic juice with honey also reduces asthma and reduces the soreness of throats.
4. Application of crushed garlic and the juice on the affected areas helps in curing yeast infections and warts.