Guduchi or Tinospora cordifolia is a well known herb renowned for its immunity boosting properties and shows its effectiveness in treating other diseases as well. The usage of this herb has special mention in Ayurveda due to its potentiality in fighting infections. The plant grows as a creeper with a succulent stem. This is a bitter tonic and the bark, roots and the leaves are generally used for medicinal purpose.
Being a native to India, Guduchi is also known as the rasayana herb as it helps in the rejuvenation of the body cells. This herb enhances the functions of the macrophages helping in enhancing the body immunity system.
The various alkaloids present in this herb are responsible for the wonderful action in developing the body defense mechanism.
Besides boosting immunity, the health benefits of Guduchi are many.
1. Guduchi acts as a diuretic and helps in treating renal infections and other kidney problems. It helps in removing stones from the urinary tract and normalizes the blood urea levels.
2. It enhances the functions of the white blood cells that help the body in fighting against foreign antigens preventing any sort of infection.
3. In reducing inflammation and alleviating joint pains Guduchi plays an important role.
4. It is a very useful in treating digestive disorders like hyperacidity, flatulence, stomach aches and chronic diarrhea.
5. Due to its potentiality in fighting infections it also protects the liver from hepatitis and jaundice.
6. In enhancing the memory and developing concentration the use of Guduchi is recommendable.
7. Even in treating skin infections like acne, eczema and psoriasis Guduchi has given good results.
8. The herb is also used for treating intestinal worms.
The common indications for the herb Guduchi are listed as -
1. Frequent infections
3. Common cold and fever
4. Improving the body immunity system
5. Weakness in the body
6. Urinary and kidney problems
7. Joint pains
8. Digestive disorders
The uses of Tinospora can be summarized as -
1. Consuming a decoction of fresh Guduchi stem is useful in treating infections and lowering fever.
2. Regular usage of this herb helps in enhancing the memory and raising the level of intelligence.
3. Guduchi helps in the secretion of bile and adding leaves and stem of the herb in the diet purifies blood and protects the liver from infections.
4. Guduchi is a good diuretic and taking a decoction of Guduchi, amla and haridra is a natural remedy to cure urinary problems.
5. Rheumatic and arthritic pain can be reduced considerably by taking a decoction of Guduchi and dry ginger twice a day before the meals.