Guggul, a flowering plant is commonly found in India and Arabia and belongs to the Burseraceae family. Its botanical name is Commiphora Mukul. The tree bears red colored flowers and grows up to six feet. Its leaves resemble that of the Neem. A resin is produced from the Guggul tree which is known as the Guggul gum and the extract produced from this gum contains the active ingredient guggulsterones which is responsible in lowering cholesterol production in liver. Guggul is a major constituent of Chyavanprasha.
Guggul is used in treating a number of ailments which is widely established by Ayurveda.
1. It has the curative power to reduce the cholesterol levels significantly up to 30% within few months of its use.
2. It eliminates any obstruction and layers in the blood vessels and is a useful remedy for atherosclerosis.
3. It helps in maintaining the HDL and the LDL levels of lipids.
4. Guggul by checking the cholesterol levels also helps to maintain the body weight preventing obesity.
5. Due to the active steroid it simultaneously reduces hypertension, obesity and other risk factors associated with the blockage of blood vessels. It also helps in treating different cardiac problems.
6. Guggul is also a useful blood purifier and boosts the immune system by the increased production of both RBC and WBC.
7. Due to its anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties, the use of guggul is effective in controlling all sorts of chronic gout and arthritis.
8. Various skin diseases like leprosy, psoriasis and eczema can be checked by the use of guggul.
9. Guggul is also beneficial in treating different respiratory disorders like Asthma and respiratory tract infection.
10. Mouth ulcers, tonsillitis, pharyngitis, soreness of throat can be cured by gurgling guggul water.
11. This herb is used to treat various dermatological conditions like psoriasis, skin rashes and acne.
12. For women this herb is very much useful in reducing menstrual cramps and other menstrual conditions.
13. As an aphrodisiac, Guggul promotes general ability enhancing the sperm count and sperm quality.
1. High blood cholesterol levels
3. Cardiac problems
4. Arthritis and gout
5. Painful menses
1. Guggulipid obtained from the guggul extract if taken regularly lowers the blood cholesterol levels.
2. The herb is also used as a laxative and promotes the digestive system of the body.
3. Guggul if taken internally is useful in reducing obesity.
4. Guggul powder is also useful in treating lumbago and sciatica.