Haritaki, also known as Black Myrobalan or Indian Gall Nut is a deciduous tree that is grown all over India. It belongs to the family Combretaceae and its botanical name is Terminalia Chebula. It has wonderful effects in treating a good number of diseases mainly constipation and piles followed by a number of other health disorders. The fruit is mainly used for medicinal purposes along with the bark and the root.
Chemicals like chebulin, chebulinic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid, gallic acid, oleic acid, tannic acid, linoleic acid, behenic acid anthraquinone, mucilage present in this plant are responsible in healing many health disorders.
1. Haritaki is most effective in curing chronic constipation as it allows smooth passing of stools cleaning the colon and the bowels completely. This unique property of Haritaki is useful in controlling the piles simultaneously preventing its recurrence.
2. In treating any digestive disorders like dysentery, flatulence, ulcers, distention, hiccups, parasitic infections Haritaki plays a very important role.
3. Due to its immense healing power Haritaki also supports the functions of colon, liver and lungs.
4. It also reduces the deposition of fats in the liver and blood.
5. Conjunctivitis, inflammation of the eye can be cured by Haritaki.
6. Haritaki acts as an astringent and cures gingivitis and sore throat.
7. Haritaki promotes memory and intelligence.
8. It is a good medicine for intermittent fever, rheumatic pain, arthritis etc.
9. It is useful in fighting HSV (Herpes Simplex virus).
10. Tumors can be cured successfully with Haritaki.
1. Acute constipation
2. Flatulence and indigestion
4. Abdominal pain
1. Haritaki aids in digestion and improves appetite, but it should not be taken while in empty stomach or in fasting.
2. If taken as a paste it helps in clearing of bowels faster.
3. Decoction of Haritaki if taken with honey is helpful in reducing hepatitis and obesity.
4. Haritaki powder mixed with jaggery if taken regularly is effective for gout.
5. The powder if taken with honey and ghee is useful for treating anemia.
6. Asthma and hiccups are greatly reduced if Haritaki is taken along with sunthi powder mixed in hot water.
7. Haritaki acts as an immunity booster and increases longevity if its powder is taken regularly fried in ghee.
8. It is an important constituent in Triphala that is used to treat bleeding gums, pyorrhea and is also used as a hair wash.