Rosacea is a very common skin problem usually found in fair skinned people. It causes acne like redness on the skin surface .The red patches on the skin often bear broken blood vessels, small red bumps and pus filled cysts that cause irritation. Most people do not even know that they are suffering from rosacea, and flaunt their blushing cheeks. The blush however is transient and increases with exposure to sunlight. Thus people with rosacea should always use sunscreen lotions rated SPF 15 before going out. Generally the cheeks, the tip of the nose, chin, chest, neck, scalp and forehead show the effect of the disease. It is a chronic skin problem, and unlike acne is seen even in quite mature people. However it is not contagious, and does not spread with the sharing of towel or handkerchief. It is widely prevalent among Western European people.
1. Intestinal bacteria
3. Sun exposure
4. Spicy food
6. Caffeine contained in beverages like hot tea, coffee
7. Stress and anxiety
8. Cold wind
9. Hot baths
11. Heavy exercise
12. Hot weather
1. Licorice contains an anti inflammatory agent that can treat the problem.
2. A moisturizer made out of feverfew flowers can also be a soothing balm.
3. The antioxidant properties of green tea oil can protect the highly sensitive skin of a rosacea patient. It acts as a natural sunscreen.
4. Camphor oil is also a good remedy for rosacea.
5. The soothing Aloe Vera can give relief to patients. It has anti inflammatory properties.
6. Apple juice mixed with vinegar is a good home remedy for this skin problem.
7. Burdock root extracts can also help.
8. Red clover, rose hips, chamomile are other herbal products that can bring relief.
9. Oatmeal purifies the skin and acts as a protective cover.
10. Lavender has anti inflammatory properties, and is used often to treat rosacea.
11. A paste made out of two tablespoons of fuller's earth, one beaten egg and water can be used as a mask to minimize rosacea symptoms.
12. A paste made out of tomato pulp, honey and oatmeal is highly effective in cleaning clogged pores.
13. A mask made out of smashed plums and one teaspoon of almond oil can alleviate the itching skin.
14. Another useful herbal remedy for rosacea is the flaxseed oil. It is helpful in reducing inflammation of skin.
15. Grape seed extracts are rich in antioxidants and can function as an anti-inflammatory agent.
16. One of the effective herbal remedies for rosacea is the gotu kola extract. It can have healing effect on the affected skin.