Sometimes over a certain areas of the body there appear some rashes due to obstruction of the sweat glands. This condition is termed as prickly heat or heat rash. This condition is an irritating eruption of the skin. In this condition there is a swelling on the skin which is tiny pin-head-size and this symptom is accompanied by severe itching. The areas which are attacked by the prickly heat are armpits, groins, chest, back and waist line. Usually the infants and the overweight persons get affected from heat rash.
Prickly heat attacks the person when the condition is hot and humid. It can also attack the person in cold weather if anyone is overdressed. This condition is very much common among the infants. Though, it can affect any person. This condition is very painful and intensely itchy. It is not similar to the allergic problem urticaria.
Some of the common symptoms of prickly heat -
1. There are red and painful rash in patches in certain areas of the body.
2. These rashes are fluid filled blisters near the folds of the skin.
3. There is an inflammation on the skin followed by intense itching.
4. In the affected area there is a prickly, stinging or burning sensation.
5. There are small and itchy red bumps on the affected part of the skin.
Prickly heat is easily cured with the help of home as well as herbal remedies. Some popular and effective remedies to cure prickly heat -
1. Application of herbal or non-perfumed talcum powder after bath is an effective herbal remedy to cure prickly heat. This powder protects our body from prickly heat and also helps in absorbing extra moisture from the body. You can repeat this application 4-5 times a day.
2. One effective remedy is that you have to dry the barks of banyan tree and finally grind into fine powder. You can apply this powder over the affected area. Its application will give fast relief from the problem of prickly heat.
3. Application of multani mitti or fuller's earth is also an effective remedy to cure prickly heat.
4. Paste of sandal wood is the commonly used remedy for the problem of prickly heat. You can prepare its paste in addition to rose water and apply it over the infected area. Allow this applied paste to dry and then wash it with cold water. Its regular application gives relief from prickly heat.
Below are the herbs that are found effective in the treatment of prickly heat:
Sandalwood - It is used in Ayurveda for many centuries as an important ingredient in several medicines. Sandalwood paste is a popular herbal remedy for prickly heat. It prevents excessive sweating and heals inflamed skin. Dry sandalwood powder can be mixed in rose water and applied over parts where there is profuse sweating. more...