Holy Basil, popularly known as Tulsi is of immense medicinal value in India since thousands of years ago. This plant belongs to the family lamiaceae and its botanical name is Ocimum tenuiflorum. Holy Basil has great religious value and is worshipped as Goddess Lakshmi in most of the Indian households. Chemicals like Olianolic acid, Ursolic acid, Rosmarinic acid, Eugenol, cavacrol, Beta caryophyllene etc are responsible for the outstanding curative power of this herb.
Among the numerous health benefits of this herb some are listed below -
1. The leaves of Holy Basil are commonly used in treating common cold, cough and fever.
2. The herb is very useful in treating common pediatric diseases like cough, cold, fever, diarrhea and vomiting.
3. It treats the respiratory problems like asthma and bronchitis by bringing out the phlegm and catarrhal matter from the bronchial tube.
4. The leaves are also good nerve tonic and improve memory.
5. It is a good blood purifier and also helps in boosting the immunity system of the body and prevents from seasonal diseases like malaria, dengue.
6. Basil also has curative effects in kidney stones.
7. Holy basil is also very beneficial in treating cardiac diseases. It also reduces the blood cholesterol levels.
8. Skin diseases like ringworm can be cured by the application of basil.
9. Basil is a good adaptogen and helps in preventing stress build up.
10. Basil leaves give effective results in curing mouth infections and ulcers.
11. The leaves of Holy basil prevent bad breath, improve dental health and are also beneficial in treating pyorrhea.
12. The herb is also used in treating eye problems like night blindness and sore eyes.
1. Cough and cold
2. Asthma and Bronchitis
3. Sore throat
5. Bad breath
1. Juice of holy basil if taken with honey 2-3 times a day gives relief from cough and reduces asthma. It also helps in lowering fever.
2. Taking 10-12 leaves of basil daily purifies the blood and prevents the body from viral infections.
3. Soreness of throat can be reduced by taking juice of basil leaf.
4. Applying fresh juice of basil leaves is a good remedy for insect bites.
5. Chewing basil leaves or using a mixture of basil leaf powder and mustard as toothpaste prevents bad breath and helps in massaging the gums.
6. Tea prepared from basil leaves if taken daily reduces stress.