Following are some of the simple tips for indigestion:
- Eat light foods containing green and fibrous vegetables, low fat, and less oily foods.
- Do not take alcohol, caffeine, tea, beverages and chocolates as all these create more complication and causes indigestion.
- Do not play and do heavy physical work just after taking your lunch.
- Avoid taking heavy meals. It is better to take 4-5 small meals than eating one heavy meal. Overeating also causes indigestion.
- Regularly do exercise as it helps to keep your body in shape, weight under control and prevents indigestion.
- Drink 7-8 glasses of water daily.
- Do not take heavy diet when having an indigestion problem. Stick to a vegetarian diet, and consume fiber rich food. Fasting for a day will help a lot. Take liquids like fresh fruit juices. Do not consume any liquids that contain synthetic ingredients.
- When suffering from indigestion, mix some curds in rice, sweeten it with sugar and eat it. This is the most ideal meal for indigestion.
Following are some of the effective home remedies for indigestion:
- Prepare a mixture by adding one tablespoon of lemon juice and curry leaves juice each. Add a pinch of sugar to this. This will give you an instant relief from stomach pain and cures indigestion.
- After a heavy meal, put 2-3 pieces of clove in the mouth or a piece of garlic and let them remain there till all the juices are extracted. This will help the digestion take place faster.
- You can also take warm lemon water 3-4 times a day in case of indigestion and tiredness. It is also a good home remedy for indigestion.
- Prepare a mixture by adding coriander (1-2 teaspoon), ginger (1 teaspoon), clove (2-3 pieces), and cardamom (2-3 seeds). Take this homemade mixture whenever you feel gas in stomach and indigestion.
- Prepare an herbal tea containing mint or other herbs like blackberry. It gives an instant relief from indigestion.
- You can also drink ginger tea after your regular lunch. This is another simple and effective natural remedy for indigestion.
- Prepare a mixture of coriander leaf juice, cumin seeds (1 tablespoon each) and add this mixture in a glass of water, add a pinch of salt to it and shake well. This is an effective home remedy for indigestion.
Following are some of the effective herbal remedies for indigestion:
- Aniseed is a useful herbal remedy for gurgling in the abdomen, which is an indication of the presence of excessive gas. It can retard the fermentation of undigested food in the stomach and the bowels.
- Garlic is also useful herb in treating indigestion. It helps in the faster production of the digestive enzymes and eliminates the waste matters from the digestive system. It also helps in the prevention of gastrointestinal diseases that may cause indigestion. Garlic expels any intestinal worms if present.
- Ginger is also used in the treatment of all kinds of gastrointestinal ailments. It can treat colic, flatulence, diarrhea, dysentery, abdominal pains and dyspepsia.
- Bishop's weed (ajwain) is extensively used in the treatment of indigestion, diarrhea, dysentery, atonic dyspepsia, colic and flatulence. It helps in the digestion of heavy oily and spicy food.
- Bloodwort is also used for the treatment of indigestion. Take a spoonful of the fresh juice of this herb thrice a day for treating indigestion and other gastric disorders.
- Chicory is a natural laxative. It helps in the treatment of chronic constipation and aids in proper digestion.
- Fennel is an herb in the prevention of indigestion. It helps digestion and also takes care of bad odors from the mouth and flatulence.