Licorice is a medicinal plant with the botanical name Glycyrrhiza Glabra or G. Glabra.
It is otherwise known as sweet root as it contains a sweetening substance. Due to the presence of the compound Glycyrrhizin it is 50 times as sweet as sucrose sugar. It is used in many Ayurvedic and Allopathic medicines. Licorice is a perennial plant growing in some parts of Europe and Asia.
It grows in fertile, irrigated soil. In three years it gains full growth. Roots and under ground stems are used for preparation of Licorice supplements.
1. Licorice is most commonly used in treating various respiratory problems like sore throat, bronchitis and allergies. It is a very effective expectorant as it dissolves the mucus easily and so it is being widely used in preparing various cough syrups.
2. Use of Licorice can keep asthma in control.
3. It also helps in the curing of ulcers in mouth and stomach.
4. Roots of Licorice are ideal for the treatment of Arthritis, constipation, depression, fatigue etc.
5. Body fat can be reduced by taking Licorice.
6. It is a better remedy for ophthalmic, oral or genital herpes.
7. Skin diseases like eczema can be cured by application of Licorice.
8. Ileitis, leaky guts syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn's disease etc. can be treated with Licorice.
9. Due to the presence of isoflavones, Licorice is useful in treating symptoms of premenstrual syndrome and menopause.
10. Licorice is useful in treating various heart problems and lowers the cholesterol levels in blood. It also prevents atherosclerosis or the hardening of the arteries.
11. It has also been proved that Licorice is also helpful in treating Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C due to the presence of the compound glycyrrhizin.
12. Recent researches have revealed the efficacy of Licorice in treating HIV/AIDS infection.
1. Cough, cold and sore throat
2. Bronchitis and asthma
3. Mouth ulcers
1. Powdered Licorice if taken internally provides relief from bronchitis and asthma.
2. Chewing a piece of licorice root or drinking licorice tea is good for sore throat and cough in case of children.
3. Gargling with licorice powder dissolved in warm water 4 times a day also reduces the canker sores and gives relief from the pain.
4. Topical application of Licorice gel with 2% licorice is effective in treating eczema.
5. Indigestion or GERD can be cured by taking special formulations containing licorice.