Prostate enlargement or benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is a common occurrence in aged males. Prostate, a walnut-shaped gland forms a part of the male reproductive system. It is situated below the urinary bladder in males, and besets the urethra, the outlet for urine. With aging the production of testosterone, the primary male hormone, falls. This decline in testosterone levels leaves higher amount of estrogen in blood. The estrogen hormone then starts reacting, producing substances that trigger multiplication and growth of cells in the prostate, thereby causing the gland to grow in size.
Another theory states that with age, males become incapable of producing DHT or dihydrotestosterone, a substance contained in the testosterone hormone. DHT keeps the size of prostate under check Poor production of DHT, causes the prostate to enlarge easily. Also at times the drop in testosterone levels may cause large quantities of DHT to collect within the gland, causing its enlargement.
Generally males above the age of 50 may suffer from this disorder. As the prostates surround the urethra, enlargement of the glands may put tremendous pressure on the urinary bladder, causing it to thicken and contract every now and then. Enlarged prostates also exert pressure on the urethra, thereby narrowing the tract. These lead to incomplete discharge of urine or partial emptying of bladder.
1. Frequent urination
2. Hesitant, weak stream
3. Leaking or dribbling
4. Urinary retention
5. Straining to urinate
6. Pain while urinating
7. Passage of blood through urine in case of infection
8. Delayed start of urination
1. The herb palmetto is highly beneficial in reducing prostate inflammation.
2. Intake of zinc supplements ranging from 10 to 500 milligrams is very necessary. Zinc regulates cell growth and cell death, and thus is capable of diminishing size of prostates.
3. Tomato in large numbers should be included in diet. Lycopene in tomato helps to maintain good prostate health.
4. Nettle root extracts can help in shrinking enlarged prostates.
5. Kegel exercise strengthens the muscles around scrotum, thereby reducing the BPH symptoms.
6. Fresh, leafy vegetables and fruits should be consumed more and more, and one should exclude animal products from diet.
7. Antioxidants and food rich in vitamin E, A, C and Selenium are excellent for repair of tissues.
8. The herb hydrangea checks the swelling of prostates.
9. Damiana is excellent for hormone balancing.
10. Omega3 fats contained in flaxseeds, fish oils are essential for healthy prostate functioning.
11. Refined, processed food, caffeine, soda and sugar should be avoided.
12. Pygeum, an African plant is effective in maintaining healthy prostate, and may cause shrinking of enlarged prostates.
13. Epilobium herb also helps in case of enlarged prostate.
14. Propolis contains a substance called galangin that helps to reduce prostate inflammation.
15. Goldenseal checks prostate inflammation.