Wrinkles are fine lines that appear mostly around the eyes, lips, neck and hands. They are the result of sagging skin, which in turn results from loss of fat content in the skin. In other words, the skin loses its elasticity due to weakening of elastin and collagen in the skin.
The reasons for the creased skin and thin lines are many. The premature wrinkles are a result of photoaging which means that a person's skin is exposed to the ultraviolet rays of the sun, thus damaging and discoloring the skin and sometimes making it prone to cancer. These wrinkles then continue to deepen with age.
Another culprit is smoking as free radicals are produced by cigarettes and damage the skin. Yet another factor is dust and pollution or excessive exposure to jazzy lights which causes premature aging. Surprisingly, too much of laughing or frowning could also cause wrinkles around the eyes and make one look unattractive. Lack of Vitamin E and rapid or constant weight loss can also result in sagging skin.
There are a few simple and affordable home remedies that could reduce fine lines and wrinkles and 'prevent' if not 'reverse' aging.
1. The white of the egg can be applied on the cheeks especially around the eyes to tighten the skin.
2. Another simple and economical way to reduce wrinkles is to apply castor oil around eyes, lips and neck.
3. It is always recommended to use a sunscreen lotion or cream of at least SPF 30 before stepping out into the sun. Even during winter or at nighttime, the skin should be washed gently and any natural moisturizer can be applied to keep the skin smooth.
4. A paste formed by mixing sugarcane juice with turmeric can be applied for about twenty minutes on the wrinkled areas and then washed off.
5. Any anti-wrinkle moisturizer containing avocado oil, jojoba oil or grape seed oil should be applied.
6. About 50 gm of yoghurt, half spoon lemon and equal amount of honey should be mixed to the contents of 3 vitamin E capsules (by emptying them) and the paste should be applied on face and neck and left for 15 minutes before rinsing the face thoroughly.
7. It is advised to consume fresh fruits and vegetables and dry fruits like almonds, cashew nuts and walnuts.
8. Drink about 6-7 glasses of water everyday to maintain sufficient water level in the body and keep the skin glowing.
9. Lukewarm coconut oil can be applied on wrinkled areas and left overnight to lessen wrinkles and reduce scars.
10. Fine wrinkles can be treated by rubbing the core of a fresh pineapple and leaving it on for 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
11. Juice of fresh green apples and green pineapples can be applied daily and washed after 15 minutes.
12. Flaxseed oil is a good for reducing wrinkles. But it should be used carefully as it causes diarrhea to some users.
These remedies promise a beautiful and healthy looking skin, free of wrinkles.