Shankhpushpi can be definitely considered as one of nature's wonderful gifts to mankind. This plant is the main and active ingredient in most of the Ayurvedic brain tonics and memory enhancing drugs. It is also used as a rasayana or rejuvenator. This is a twining perennial herb and is endemic to India. Shankhpushpi grows mainly in the plains of Northern India. Its family name is Gentianaceae and botanical name is Convolvulus pluricaulis.
1. The chemical composition of Shankhpushpi contains many phytonutrients like Convolidine, Convolvine, Convolvidine, Convoline, Confoline, Phyllabine, Subhirsine, β-Sitosterol, and Scopoline. These compounds help brain stimulation and increase the ability to concentrate.
2. Due to its soothing action on the nervous system, this plant is used as a tranquilizer for sleeplessness and anxiety neurosis.
3. It has been found to be helpful in restoring memory and so is useful in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's disease and dementia.
4. Shankhpushpi reduces anxiety and stress by controlling the production of body's stress hormones, adrenaline and cortisol.
5. This plant also significantly enhances the memory power and intelligence.
6. This herb has some chemicals that may be effective against some ulcers.
7. Shankhpushpi can also cause a decrease in liver enzyme activity and thus lessens the symptoms of hyperthyroidism.
8. The ethanolic extract of Shankhpushpi reduces heart disease risk factors like triglycerides, total serum cholesterol, and phospholipids. It also decreases non esterified fatty-acid (NEFA) levels, a risk factor for death due to cardiac arrest.
9. This plant also has laxative properties and can be used to cure constipation.
1. Memory loss
2. Nervous weakness
3. Problems with concentration
4. Physical and mental weakness
6. Anxiety neurosis and nervousness
7. Depression and stress
1. Shankhpushpi has been regarded as a powerful brain tonic, a natural memory stimulant, and a good tranquilizer.
2. Its leaves are found to be effective in the treatment of asthma and bronchitis.
3. The root of this plant is a natural remedy for curing childhood fever.
4. The juice of this plant is considered to be good for treating insanity and hematemesis
5. Its powder, mixed with cumin and milk, can be taken for insomnia
6. Regular use of this plant boosts immunity system.
7. It is also used in Ayurvedic antiepileptic medication.
8. This herb is also an aphrodisiac agent and can cure seminal debility.
9. Shankhpushpi supports digestion and avoids retention of water in the body.