Syzygium Cumini is a fast-growing tropical aromatic evergreen tree and belongs to Myrtaceae or Myrtle family. This tree is native to India and Southeast Asia, but it is now also found in Suriname and Florida (USA). Syzygium Cumini is known by many other names including Jambolan, Duhat, Java plum, and Jamun.
1. Syzygium Cumini has been noted to have very effective antidiabetic and antihyperglycemic activities. Most of its parts, including its bark, leaves, fruits and seeds, are helpful in controlling diabetes.
2. It has been proven that Syzygium Cumini can significantly boost the regeneration of insulin-producing beta cells of pancreas.
3. The seeds of this tree have glucose, known as Jamboline, which can control the conversion process of starch into sugars.
4. The fresh seeds are found to be very helpful in reducing urine sugar levels.
5. The fruits contain many natural acids that can influence the secretion of enzymes by the digestive glands and so is helpful in stomach problems.
6. The fruits are considered to be good antiscorbutic.
7. The leaves can assist the body in the absorption of Vitamin E.
8. It has been shown that the leaves contain antibacterial properties and can be used to treat inflammation of the gums.
9. The bark of this tree exhibits a wide range of biological activities like diuretic, antiulcerogenic, digestive, and anthelmintic properties.
10. The seeds are found to have gastroprotective activity.
4. Throat problems
5. Bad breath
6. Mouth ulcerations
1. The ash of the burnt bark is used in the treatment of diabetes.
2. Jamun seed powder, mixed with water reduces the level of sugar in urine.
3. The seed powder is helpful in the management of excessive urination, diarrhea, and dysentery.
4. The seeds help in controlling blood pressure.
5. The decoction of the bark, along with honey, can be taken for treating diarrhea and dysentery.
6. The bark decoction is helpful in curing asthma and bronchitis. It also heals mouth disorders like mouth ulcers and spongy gums.
7. The fresh juice of bark along with goat's milk is a home remedy for diarrhea in children.
8. The Jamun fruits are useful in treating bleeding hemorrhoids
9. The fruit vinegar is used for controlling urine retention and persistent diarrhea. It also helps in the therapy of splenomegaly.
10. The leaves can strengthen the gums and teeth.