Terminalia Arjuna is a large deciduous medicinal tree that grows throughout India. Its family name is Combretaceae. For centuries, Ayurveda has been using this tree as a remedy for many cardiac diseases and hypertension. A number of modern researches have also revealed that the bark of Terminalia Arjuna has the potential to treat and thwart many serious heart conditions. It also finds its use in treating many other ailments.
1. The bark of this tree contains Coenzyme Q 10, a naturally derived nutraceutical compound. Coenzyme Q10 effectively helps in the prevention and management of various cardiovascular diseases like angina, congestive heart failure, and coronary artery diseases. It also regularizes the heart beat.
2. Terminalia Arjuna supports the proper functioning of heart muscles and thereby improves the pumping action of heart.
3. The bark also has anti-coagulant, antiplatelet, anti-ischemic, astringent, and antioxidant properties.
4. It has been established that Terminalia Arjuna can induce a transient reduction in blood pressure levels.
5. Terminalia Arjuna lowers the level of cholesterol. Studies have shown that the phytochemicals found in the bark of this tree inhibits the synthesis of cholesterol in the liver and improves the activity of plasma lecithin - cholesterol acyltransferase.
6. It prevents mucus buildup and tones up the respiratory tract.
7. This tree is also supposed to have antimutagenic effects.
8. Causrinin, a constituent in the bark, can hold back the growth of breast cancer cells.
9. Terminalia Arjuna contains diuretic properties and therefore can be used in the therapy of kidney and bladder stones.
1. Heart diseases
5. Chronic poisoning
1. The bark of this tree is considered as an excellent cardiac tonic. It regularizes the rhythm of the heart and maintains normal pulse rate.
2. It protects the lungs from infections and can be used as a general tonic for hepatic cirrhosis.
3. It is helpful in treating diarrhea, dysentery, and biliousness.
4. The decoction of bark along with white sandal is good for spermatorrhea.
5. The bark decoction is also a good remedy for gonorrhea.
6. It is also used as an antidote for poison.
7. The bark concoction helps to manage asthma.
8. Terminalia Arjuna is used to treat many skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema, scars, and itching.
9. Topical application of bark paste mixed with honey cures acne.
10. Terminalia Arjuna is useful in treating cough in tuberculosis patients.