Tribulus Terrestris, commonly known as Gokshura or Tribulus is a non-hormonal diuretic herb found in tropical and warm temperate regions. This is an annual plant and grows like a weed on the road sides and in waste lands. Tribulus Terrestris belongs to a family of flowering plants known as Zygophyllaceae. This herb is mainly used for treating men's health conditions and urinary problems.
1. Tribulus Terrestris consists of three types of phytochemicals - protodioscin, dioscin, and diosgenin. These chemical compounds make this plant immensely beneficial to treat dysfunctions in men.
2. It has been established that this herb increases the production of luteinizing hormone (LH) by the pituitary gland which in turn, boosts the secretion of male testicular hormone, testosterone.
3. Saponins of this plant, known as X steroidal saponins or proprietary steroidal saponins, exhibit bactericidal and antiviral properties.
4. Tribulus Terrestris contains beta sitosterols, a phytosterol, that can prevent the inflammation of the prostate. Beta sitosterols, in conjunction with proprietary steroidal saponins, thwart the development of prostate cancer.
5. This diuretic herb stimulates the urine flow and its demulcent properties have a soothing and cooling effect on the urinary tract membranes.
6. It balances hormone levels in women and therefore it is used to treat premenstrual and postmenopausal syndromes.
7. Tribulus Terrestris has the ability to rejuvenate urogenital system in both men and women.
8. This plant has been proven to have the power to control bleeding and prevents abortion in pregnant women.
9. The seeds of Tribulus Terrestris have astringent properties.
1. Urinary tract problems
2. Low libido
3. Male impotency
4. Sexual disorders
1. Tribulus Terrestris is used as a urinary antiseptic.
2. This plant has been found to be of use in the therapy of male problems like impotency, low libido, premature ejaculation, and involuntary ejaculation or spermatorrhoea.
3. The extract of this plant is used to amplify sperm count and motility.
4. The extract can also be taken for reducing angina.
5. Tribulus Terrestris is effectual in the treatment of painful urination, urinary incontinence, urinary stones, and bleeding from the urinary tract.
6. Tribulus Terrestris is used in many Ayurvedic preparations meant for the treatment of many eye problems.
7. It promotes the growth of uterus.
8. Tribulus Terrestris improves lactation in feeding mothers.
9. It is effective in controlling heavy bleeding during menstrual periods.
10. Tribulus Terrestris is a natural remedy for lowering blood pressure and high cholesterol levels.